GR Update: Parliament Hill Day and "Friends in High Places"
April 15, 2015
The Public Policy Dialogue, a coalition of charities and associations including AFP, will hold a lobbying day on Parliament Hill in mid-May to share key messages about fundraising and the voluntary sector with legislators during this important election year.
The event will be held on Thursday, May 14, and will include an evening reception the night before where participants will receive information and training on advocacy techniques and communications. Representatives from AFP, Imagine Canada, PFC, the Centre for Impact Investing, CAGP, the United Way, CanadaHelps, SpirePhilanthropy, CEGN and CFC are coordinating the event.
AFP will be represented at the event by:
- Andrea McManus, president of The Development Group and chair of the AFP Canadian Government Relations Committee;
- Caroline Riseboro, senior vice president, marketing and development at the CAMH Foundation, chair of the AFP Greater Toronto Chapter Government Relations Committee;
- Kulvir Singh Gill, senior principal at Clareo Partners and chair of the William Osler Health System Foundation;
- Ken Mayhew, president & CEO, William Osler Health System Foundation; and
- Jason Lee, general counsel, AFP.
Friends in High Places
Why should government relations (GR) matter to you, and how do you get involved?
Andrea McManus, the chair of AFP’s Canadian Government Relations Committee, and Jason Lee, AFP’s general counsel, want to you help you and your chapter de-mystify all of your members’ GR questions. In an informative and accessible presentation, Andrea and Jason will walk your chapter through the challenges and opportunities that are all part of Canadian government relations. The session includes:
- Why you and your organization need to be involved in Government Relations
- Understanding the role of AFP in GR
- How to make your organization GR-ready
- How to have a successful meeting at the municipal, provincial and federal levels
- Learning from past successes
- Current sector issues and partnerships
For more information, or to request this presentation for your chapter members, contact Jason Lee at email@example.com.
More information about public policy issues can be found at the AFP Canada page, and questions about the event can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.