DEVELOPMENT MANAGERCompany: San Diego History Center
Date Posted: January 25, 2018
JOB DESCRIPTION | DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
REPORTS TO: Chief Development Officer
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt/Salary
HOURS: Primarily M-F 8:30am – 5:00pm; night and weekend availability required
The San Diego History Center, with locations in Balboa Park and in Presidio Park seeks a driven, entrepreneurial fundraiser to join our committed team. As we continue to tell the diverse story of our region – past, present and future, we seek a talented, knowledgeable person with experience in securing philanthropic gifts, and sponsorships, event management and utilization of cultivation and stewardship methodologies so we can continue to educate and enrich our community, preserve our history, and foster civic pride.
Under the direction of the Chief Development Officer, the Development Manager will support initiatives and fundraising tactics of the Board of Trustees and Executive Director with a donor portfolio of long-standing members/donors, stewarding current relationships, while building new individual and corporate relationships with potential supporters. This position supports overall efforts in growing the organization’s donor base through collaboration with team members and assisting with the planning and execution of: fundraising/cultivation events, corporate/individual proposals, annual appeals, and planned/endowment giving.
This position is responsible for continued stewardship of past donors as well as building a pipeline of new prospects with gift strategies from identification of constituents through stewardship. The Development Manager will carry an initial portfolio with a fundraising goal – and build from there. The Development Manager will meet regularly with prospects and donors face-to-face to discuss gift proposals.
RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):
- Manage portfolio of mid-tier donors and develop and execute personalized strategies to encourage current and increased giving and engagement
- Advance sponsorship strategies and new relationships: research and identify new potential sponsors, prepare proposals, facilitate community/Board connections, and conduct personal visits and cultivation strategies
- Implementing and managing a consistent and comprehensive donor relations and stewardship program
- Regularly assess and prepare weekly/monthly reports on fundraising activity and outcomes to inform future strategies and progress towards goals
- Under the direction of the CDO, supervise the Donor and Member Relations Coordinator in the execution of membership appeals, activities and programs
- Under the direction of the CDO, supervise the Development and Events Coordinator and collaborate in the planning and execution of special events and development activities
- Collaborate effectively with departments on events, special and specific projects, and on marketing calendar activities
- Responsible for management of Altru for the Development Department
- Bachelor’s Degree, Masters preferred or equivalent work experience is required
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive professional development work experience in the non-profit sector is required
- Demonstrated success personally cultivating, soliciting, and closing philanthropic gifts
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office as well as Blackbaud fundraising/CRM platforms is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required
- Valid California Driver's license and access to reliable transportation
- Position will have off-site meetings and events outside of regular business hours on occasion include weekends
- This position requires a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to multitask and remain flexible to accommodate to SDHC needs
- Ability to use independent judgment to resolve situations as they arise
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Physical Demands: The duties of this job include sitting, standing, bent over, kneeling, and lifting or moving objects up to 20lbs.; climbing stairs, and walking over varied terrain, repeated adjustments to varied lighting conditions, some museum spaces are not climate controlled and vary daily in temperature; some exposure to outdoor elements is necessary at some sites.
COMPENSATION: DoE with good benefits package
TO APPLY: please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Manager” in the subject line. Electronic responses only; no phone calls please. Application deadline: February 16, 2018.