Development ManagerCompany: Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute
Date Posted: December 19, 2017
Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute (HSWRI), founded in 1963, is an independent nonprofit scientific research organization committed to conserving and renewing marine life to ensure a healthier planet. Our team of scientists provides innovative and objective scientific solutions to challenges threatening ocean health and marine life. Our vision is to advance HSWRI's legacy of scientific discovery to conserve the world's rich biological diversity and ensure lasting prosperity for future generations.
HSWRI is seeking a Development Manager to assist in directing the goals and objectives of a comprehensive development program. The Development Manager will work independently and provide support to the Vice President of Development in achieving the strategic fundraising plan, build, enhance and steward individual, corporate, foundation, online and outreach/education donor constituents. The position reports to the Vice President of Development (VPD).
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develops creative strategies to build on the organization's current support base. Helps identify, cultivate and solicit mid-tier individual donors, foundation grants and corporate philanthropy.
- Coordinates and expands Society membership program. Manages donor relations and stewardship activities.
- Maintains personal portfolio of existing and prospective donors with up-to-date status on each.
- Oversees research and submittal of civic, corporate and foundation proposals. Assists VPD with major gift requests.
- Coordinates special events, board and subcommittee meetings, and donor appreciation activities.
- Manages communication, PR/Marketing including social media, annual report, newsletters, press releases, media events.
- Provides oversight for identification and recruitment of volunteers and interns for special events/projects.
- Coordinates donor acquisition mailings and renewals, acknowledgments. Ensures accurate gift recording and recognition.
- Manages coordination of development department administrative functions.
- Other duties as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in related area of study.
- 6+ years development experience desired.
- Demonstrated track record of managing, soliciting and securing gifts from a variety of constituencies.
- Excellent writing and communications skills, poise and professionalism, understanding of critical nature of ethics and stewardship to development process.
- Computer and Microsoft Office literacy; DonorPerfect software expertise essential.
- Staffs occasional evening and weekend meetings, events and/or conferences/travel.
Qualified applicants must email their cover letter and resume to HR@hswri.org with 'Development Manager' in the Subject Line.