Regional Chief Executive Officer – San DiegoCompany: American Red Cross
Date Posted: August 16, 2017
We are currently seeking a Regional Chief Executive Officer to work at our Region Headquarters in San Diego, CA. In this position, you will have the opportunity to lead the one of the largest Red Cross Regions in the country serving over 3.6 million people across 10,000 square miles. The San Diego Region’s outlook for continued growth in fundraising, community outreach and volunteers is extremely positive.
Our region is unique and hosts a Disaster Operations Center, a state-of-the-art communications center where Red Cross leaders coordinate all disaster response activities, including opening shelters, delivering food to disaster victims and first responders, assigning trained disaster volunteers to shelters and providing other critical Red Cross services to disaster-hit areas. In addition we provide nutritional counseling through our Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. Through Prepare San Diego, a regional resiliency initiative, the American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties brings together key community and business leaders from the region to create a sustainable network that encourages preparedness, carries out response and recovery plans, and strives for resiliency in the face of disaster, meeting all aspects of the disaster lifecycle.
As a Regional CEO, you will focus externally on core mission delivery, fundraising and being the face of the Red Cross for the media, donors and their communities. You will serve as the principal Red Cross leader in the community, leading teams in fundraising, service delivery, and partnerships, as well as being accountable for achieving performance targets, including fundraising/revenue, expense and service delivery. You will serve as the chief fundraiser, managing staff and volunteers to meet assigned revenue targets.
The Regional CEO will increase community awareness, participation and commitment to the Red Cross by being an active community participant. The CEO will partner with high profile; community focused Board of Directors to ensure that the goals and objectives for the Region are reflective of the community needs and opportunities that exist within the San Diego region. Maintaining an effective partnership with the Board will be an important enabler to accomplish the community and fundraising objectives. Consistent with regional and national communication strategies, you will leverage relationships with local/regional media to ensure regular local media communications regarding Red Cross services, programs, and regional/national activities.
Responsibilities also include leading teams that enable communities in the San Diego area to prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies of all types. You will also manage the community resilience programs, working with community partners to ensure that the communities build local capacity to prepare for, prevent, respond to and recover from disasters.
In this position, you will also be responsible for strategic and operational management/oversight of the San Diego area team (120 staff and thousands of volunteers), ensuring effective delivery of services; meeting fundraising, revenue and expense targets; and complying with corporate governance, policies and governmental regulations. You will ensure sound financial management and public accountability for contributions, income and all Red Cross assets, as well as work with the Division Vice President to establish revenue and expense budgets.
1. Fundraising (30%): In conjunction with the Division Fundraising Vice President, is responsible across Region for achievement of fundraising goals. Acts as the region's chief fundraiser. Develops and grows financial resources within Region, ensuring adequate and diversified financial resources. Leads and participates in strategies to raise and leverage funds, including working with Regional Boards.
2. External Relationships and Partnerships (25%): Responsible for building strong relationships with key organizations and community leaders. Working with the Regional Board of Directors, you will cultivate an approach that extends the leadership reach of the Red Cross into significant fund raising opportunities, potential service delivery partners, and community awareness events. To further the mission of the Red Cross, the CEO will also cultivate relationships and partnerships with other key constituents including 1898 Society, Tiffany Circle, external donors, state/local governments, corporations, civic organizations and other community charitable / non-profit agencies.
3. Visibility and Community Relevance (20%): Ensures strong visibility for the American Red Cross in the regional jurisdiction. Increases community awareness, participation and commitment to the Red Cross by being an active community participant and ensuring regular local media communications regarding Red Cross services and regional/national activities, consistent with regional/national communication strategies. Leverages relationships with local/regional media to ensure that the communities in the region are provided access to information about Red Cross services/programs.
4. Operational Excellence (15%) along with Executive Leadership): Responsible for delivery of overall targets/goals of the Region. Responsible for strategic and operational management/oversight including the effective delivery of services; meeting fundraising, revenue and expense targets; and complying with corporate governance, policies and governmental regulations. Ensures sound financial management and public accountability for contributions, income and all Red Cross assets. Works with Division Vice President (DVP) to establish Regional revenue and expense budgets.
5. Internal Collaboration and feedback: Builds strong collaboration and consensus environment between all units in the Region. Provides direction and strategy for improved performance. Works with DVP and other RCE's to ensure coordinated outreach/partnerships with external constituents within the Division (local and state government, donors, corporate partners, other community agencies); collaborative relationships and activities with local Red Cross Biomedical units; positive interactions with Chapter Boards, management presence in local communities within the region and Health & Safety services as part of the chapter mission.
6. Service Delivery (10%): Manages and grows the community resilience programs, working with community partners to ensure that the communities build local capacity to prepare for, prevent, respond to and recover from disasters. Grows and ensures consistent, responsive delivery of high-quality Chapter services throughout the region. This includes emergency and disaster response services, Services to Armed Forces, and international services based on Regional strategies and local community needs and objectives. Increases community awareness, participation and commitment. Builds regional capacity for service delivery through engagement and retention of volunteers and partners. Ensures that youth and young adults are engaged through a network of Red Cross Clubs which are also integrated into the service delivery plans.
7. Regional Boards: Regional board members serve as important volunteer leadership partners of the American Red Cross. Active and engaged boards are reflective of the local chapter and are meet the needs of the community and the expectations of the Red Cross. Working with board leadership executives, the CEO plays a pivotal role to ensure that board members are recruited and engaged in a manner that reflects the needs and opportunities within the San Diego region and supports the overall mission of the Red Cross.
8. Workforce Management: It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
9. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
- As the face of the Red Cross in the Region, the successful candidate must have exceptional presentation and media skills. Planned and spontaneous opportunities to spread the message of the Red Cross arise on a frequent basis and the CEO must be able to tell our story with compassion, conviction, and succinctness.
- Leading and managing a large staff of professionals and volunteers is a critical component to be effective in this role. Experience running large organizations, ideally in a C suite capacity (for profit or nonprofit) is highly desired. As a leader, the successful candidate has developed a reputation for being inspirational, challenging yet fair, and ethical beyond reproach.
- The successful candidate will also have an enviable track record in fundraising or sales and marketing. Setting and achieving challenging revenue targets is considered a personal strength.
- Ideally, the successful candidate will have an existing knowledge of and relationships established within San Diego and/ or Southern California governments and local / national emergency response agencies.
- Non-Profit work experience is important but not critical in the background of the desired candidate. Comfort working in a matrix environment however must be demonstrated as the ability to influence without formal authority is required to be successful in the role.
- Four year college degree (BS/BA) in Business, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Finance or non-profit administration or equivalent experience required. Prefer Master's degree in the field of community organization, public or business administration or nonprofit management.
- Minimum 7 years related experience in the profit or not-for-profit sector in business, sales or corporate administration. Proven track record in raising significant financial resources.
- Minimum 5 years experience directing a workforce and program management responsibilities.
If you would like to make a significant impact in the San Diego/Imperial Counties Region, please visit our website at:
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development, team spirit, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.