Development OfficerCompany: The Scripps Research Institute
Date Posted: June 5, 2017
Development Officer - Requisition: 04549 Location: La Jolla, CA
The Scripps Research Institute is currently seeking a Development Officer who will report to the Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving. This role is responsible for identifying and cultivating new major gift prospects, and actively manages a portfolio of major donors. Responsibilities and duties to include;
- Develops appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies for donors and prospects, moving potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Develops a robust major gifts program to support current and future resource needs with a specific focus on high-net worth individuals.
- Develops comprehensive, proactive strategies for maximizing giving among existing and prospective major donors.
- Identifies major gift prospects, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding annual and major gift prospects and donors, with a primary focus on developing relationships with individuals who have an outright gift capacity of $100,000 and above.
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards major donors and investigates prospective donors through personal contact, prospect research, volunteers, Principal Investigators and other donors.
- Analyzes and assesses the potential for annual and planned giving donors to make major gifts.
- Coordinates scientific presentations and on-site tours for prospective donors, community groups, and others.
- Prepares and distributes quarterly or annual stewardship reports to individual donors.
- Analyzes potential giving capacity and philanthropic interests of Graduate Program alumni.
- Represents the development department at lectures, dinners, and other donor events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Non Profit Management or similar field of study or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience is required.
- 5+ years of experience demonstrating success in securing five, six, and seven figure gifts or record of accomplishment that includes the identification, solicitation, and stewardship of multiple, high-capacity donors in the $100,000+ range, preferably in biomedical research, healthcare, or higher education.
- Demonstrated success in building a major gifts program as part of a comprehensive development department with a relatively small established donor base and no naturally affiliated constituencies.
- Campaign fundraising experience preferred.
- Intelligence, maturity, and sound judgment, necessary for interacting with major donors and prospects, faculty, staff, and other constituents.
- Project management skills and a demonstrated ability to set and complete priority projects under deadline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
- High level of poise and professionalism, including follow-through on the smallest of details.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Donor management systems experience, e.g. Raiser’s Edge or SalesForce.
- Some travel required, as are evenings and weekends for special events and donor visits.
Salary is commensurate with experience
To learn more about this opportunity and submit your application for consideration, please visit our website at https://careers.scripps.edu. Requisition 04549
If you are a person with disability who is in need of a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in TSRI’s application, interview, and/or selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (858) 784-8534 for assistance. The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.