Director of Major Gifts & Planned GivingCompany: The Scripps Research Institute
Date Posted: June 5, 2017
Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving
Requisition: 04548 Location: La Jolla, CA
The Scripps Research Institute is currently seeking a Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving who will report to the Development VP. As a senior member of the Development team, executes the Institute’s fundraising and development programs by providing leadership, direction and contribution to overall strategic planning. Oversees and directs comprehensive planned giving, major gifts and other development programs. Provides critical support and direction of major and planned gift campaigns including successful identification, cultivation, solicitation, negotiation and stewardship of significant gifts to support both Institute-wide and/or program-specific needs. Initiates, strengthens and manages strategic relationships with philanthropic partners.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience, preference given to candidates with an advanced degree, such as masters in Non Profit Leadership, J.D., CPA certification and/or and Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification.
- 10+ years progressively responsible experience in the areas of development, major gift and planned giving programs.
- 2+ Years of management experience engaging and managing a development team.
- A proven fundraising track record, as well as possible history in finance, sales and marketing
- Detailed and in-depth knowledge of planned giving and its complexities (e.g., estate planning, tax laws, wills, trusts, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge and experience with areas related to development including data base management, annual giving, foundations, events, stewardship and marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, cultivate and expand a major prospect pool.
- Experience working with board members, executives and faculty on major gifts.
- Initiative, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
- High level of poise and professionalism, including follow-through on the smallest of details.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Donor management systems experience, e.g. Raisers Edge or SalesForce.
- Some travel required, as are evenings and weekends for special events and donor visits.
Salary is commensurate with experience
To learn more about this opportunity and submit your application for consideration, please visit our website at https://careers.scripps.edu. Requisition 04548
If you are a person with disability who is in need of a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in TSRI’s application, interview, and/or selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (858) 784-8534 for assistance. The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.