Doors of Change Fundraiser/Development Director to help Homeless Youth in San DiegoCompany: Doors of Change, also known as Photocharity
Date Posted: November 1, 2016
Doors of Change
Doors of Change, also known as Photocharity, is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that has been helping save homeless youth in San Diego since July 2001. Over the past 15 years we have worked in partnership with San Diego Youth Services’ Storefront shelter over the first 12 years to place over 1,800 homeless youth ages 12-17 in long-term safe housing. For the past 4 years Doors of Change operates multiple programs in San Diego County in pursuit of its mission to “solve youth homelessness through empowerment and self-sufficiency.” We run an award winning music and art program that provides free music and art classes to homeless youth (ages 12 -24) and we have seen over 3,000 youth in 42 months.
Our most recent endeavor is the Doors of Change housing program for self-sufficiency. This intensive 18- to 24-month transitional housing program provides homeless individuals, ages 18-24, with the skills and knowledge needed to obtain self-sufficiency and permanently solve their homelessness. It costs $35,000/yr. for each individual youth to be in our housing program for self-sufficiency. Our vision is to continue expanding our programs to help save more homeless youth and provide them with the lives they deserve!
The success of the Doors of Change reputation and ultimate ability to achieve its vision of “sustainability” rests on the cultivation and the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising which may include major gifts, corporate donations, grant solicitation, and in-kind resources. The candidate must have a minimum of 7 years in fundraising experience. The Fundraiser/Development Director will be responsible for finding donors, building donor trust, maintaining client confidentiality, and most importantly: educating potential donors about the cause (San Diego is 6th in the nation for having the highest number of homeless youth).
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director/Founder, the Fundraiser/Development Director will spearhead development efforts as Doors of Change continues to grow. As this is a new position in the organization, the Fundraiser/Development Director will have the opportunity to build the development functions and eventually build a team to support our efforts to expand as an organization and secure more funding.
- Develop and execute Doors of Change’s annual fundraising plan of raising a minimum of $500,000/year ($300,000 in NEW donations).
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Oversee organization of special events.
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Complete all other assignments as required by the Executive Director and/or Board of Directors.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of fundraising management with 7 years minimum experience
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting charities
- Knowledge of special events planning and management
- Knowledge of the management of volunteer resources
- Knowledge of Planned Giving and Legacy Gifts
- Ability to be a part of a cohesive and effective team
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Ability to motivate and guide others
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing in English
- Extreme attention to detail
- Self-motivated and passionate about our organizations mission to solve youth homelessness
- BA (required), MA (a plus) – preferably in marketing, public fund development, or related discipline
- 7+ years experience in development with record of raising over $500,000/yr. (preferably in the San Diego area)
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
Proficiency in the use of computer for:
- Fund raising software
- Word processing
This is a full time position.
Doors of Change is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.