Grant Writer & Development SpecialistCompany: Biocom Institute
Date Posted: October 14, 2016
Biocom Institute provides a tremendous array of programs to accelerate the growth of the life sciences ecosystem through workforce development and STEM education programs. Our industry-leading initiatives drive success for professionals eager to expand and enrich their skill set. Our world-class Science and Engineering Festival inspires today’s students to become future leaders. With a goal to invigorate the student community of southern California to embrace a career in STEM, and attract the best and brightest talent for long-term careers in life science, the Biocom Institute is a driving force in shaping the Science of Life. The Biocom Institute is an affiliate of Biocom, the largest and most experienced advocate for California’s life science sector. This position will play an integral role in shaping the future of the Biocom Institute and its sustainability as a part of the overall development plan. This is a full-time exempt role and reports to the Managing Director.
- Develop written proposals and applications to foundations and other grant-making organizations and individuals; writing Letters of Intent (LOI), and custom letters of request or inquiry.
- Set up a grant calendar and files for necessary grant documentation, devise a funding research system, determine applicable grants for submission, complete grant packets of materials, track grant deadlines and information in a designated database and follow-up after the grant is received with all stewardship pieces.
- Provide key support to the development team in regards to overall sponsorship needs.
- Duties may include but are not limited to; communications with current sponsors, tracking sponsor benefits, setting up new sponsor leads and assisting the team with donor driven events, such as the Biocom Charity Golf Tournament.
- Represent the Biocom Institute at various outreach and partner events
- Develop collaborative relationships and promote awareness of the Institute’s mission.
- Participate in many Festival Week events and other events throughout the year.
- Write copy for all development department needs as well as contribute general content for the Institute as needed.
- Exercise a high level of initiative, judgment, professionalism and creativity.
- Participate in various committee meetings when necessary as well as work directly with members of both the Festival Advisory Board and the Biocom Institute Board of Directors.
- Handle multiple projects at one time
- Possess the ability to lead specific projects, as well operate as a key player within the team.
- Provide support to other team members and program initiatives within the Biocom Institute, in addition to regular daily job duties.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required from an accredited college or university.
- Two plus years of non-profit experience with at least one of those years in a development role or equivalent work experience in a for-profit company.
- Applicant should be able to demonstrate previous successful track record in grants written and obtained.
- Experience must include familiarity with business and high-level professional relationships.
- Coursework or real work experience in donor development and special events within the non-profit industry is also a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have exemplary writing skills with an ability to communicate descriptively or persuasively with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to network at the senior executive level.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as a team leader or team member to complete assigned tasks.
- Able to represent the organization professionally and credibly with the community-at-large.
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and to be a self-motivated, innovative, and independent thinker.
- Ability to be resourceful on independent projects.
- Must have excellent follow-up and follow-through skills.
Special Skills & Training:
- Must have good customer service etiquette on the phone and in person.
- Must be able to stay calm in stressful environments and keep a professional presence while troubleshooting through difficult situations.
- Excellent demonstrated PC-computer skills and well versed with a variety of software packages for word processing, spreadsheets and database management.
- Possess a comprehensive working knowledge of all Microsoft Office products to include presentation use.
- Previous experience and/or training with the Salesforce system is considered a plus.
To apply please email your cover letter, resume, salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Grants Writer” in the subject line. No phone calls or recruiters. Biocom is an EOE.