Development DirectorCompany: California Ballet Association, Inc. (California Ballet Company)
Date Posted: October 6, 2016
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Director of Development (DD) serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting California Ballet. In partnership with the Director, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build California Ballet’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The DD also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The DD will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow to a $3 Million budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal, state and local grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support. This includes annual operating contributions and the development of an Endowment Fund.
S/he will expand and diversify California Ballet’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the DD will work closely with the board of directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by California Ballet will increase in future years as the DD systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
- Responsible for achieving the yearly budgeted Contributed Income
- Support and partner with the Director and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the Director and board members to develop and implement California Ballet’s financial strategy
- Actively work with the Director and staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position California Ballet ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Direct and mentor the development team, including part time staff in membership, grant writing, special events and silent auction
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside California Ballet
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
- High energy and passion for California Ballet’s mission is essential
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Customer focus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, to lead a team and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
Cover Letter and Resume required.