DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATECompany: San Diego Audubon Society (SDAS)
Date Posted: July 28, 2016
Development Associate (50% time)
San Diego Audubon Society (SDAS), a non-profit organization working to promote the protection and appreciation of birds, other wildlife, and their habitats in San Diego County, seeks a highly motivated individual with professional experience in development to serve as the organization’s Development Associate. If you’re an excellent writer, super-organized, and love planning events, we want to hear from you.
Information Management (30%)
- Manage the constituent database, including data entry and management, operational guidelines, basic operational training and ongoing support for staff/ trained volunteers.
- Develop protocols for data entry and document SDAS database procedures.
- Manage and oversee database entry of all incoming monies by trained office volunteers; secure monies and deliver to the SDAS bookkeeper for deposit and reporting.
- Manage donation acknowledgements, appeal mailings, membership renewal mailings, new member and volunteer mailings, and other special mailings using office volunteers.
- Ensure complete and accurate data entry, tracking, and protocols for memberships, donations, sales, and other information.
- Establish and maintain queries to generate newsletter mailing lists, appeals, membership renewal, acknowledgement letters, and other targeted communications as needed.
- Generate online transactions reports and manage Sustaining Friends memberships.
- Prepare membership, donor tracking, and fundraising reports for the ED as requested.
- Generate reports as requested by other staff, the Board of Directors, and committee chairs.
Appeals and Donor Relations (30%)
- Assist in the implementation of membership and end-of-year appeals.
- Assist in the implementation of the spring Birdathon fundraiser.
- Support the Executive Director’s major gifts and planned giving programs.
- Establish and maintain queries and reports to generate mailing lists, appeals, membership campaigns, and other targeted communications as needed.
- Prepare fundraising reports for the Executive Director and Fund Development Committee as requested.
Grants Management (20%)
- Research grant opportunities.
- Manage grant tracking system and administer grants.
- Prepare grant applications, including writing grant proposals and developing budgets.
- Manage interim and final reporting requirements of awarded grants.
Development-Related Events (20%)
- Manage all development-related events, including planning, budgeting, venue selection and coordination, invitations, communications, registration, and follow-up activities.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Deep commitment and passion for the conservation of birds, other wildlife, and their habitats.
- At least two years of professional experience in the development field.
- Grant writing and management experience.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Advanced database skills, including query/report design (experience with eTapestry a plus).
- Very organized and able to set priorities and handle multiple tasks.
- Hard working, self-motivated, able to work in a team setting.
- Advanced proficiency with office productivity software, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Typing speed minimum 50 WPM.
Other Job Requirements
- Must have a valid driver’s license, excellent driving record, and reliable transportation.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed to support development events.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Salary, Benefits & Terms
This is a 50% time, non-exempt position. Wage range is $17 to $20 per hour. Benefits include paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave. San Diego Audubon is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. If materials cannot be sent electronically, hard copies can be submitted to:
Chris Redfern, Executive Director
San Diego Audubon Society
4010 Morena Blvd, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92117