Major Gifts OfficerCompany: KPBS
Date Posted: June 17, 2016
FUNCTION OF THE UNIT
Licensed to San Diego State University, KPBS Radio, Television & Online serves San Diego County with news, information, entertainment and cultural content. The organization presents local and national content that is valued and trusted by the community. KPBS also produces and distributes content about San Diego that is valued by local, regional, national and international audiences and is worthy of support.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will be involved in all aspects of major gift fundraising for the station. Primary responsibilities include major gift solicitations.
The MGO will secure gifts of $25,000 a year or more from individual, family and private foundations. The successful candidate in this position will work with our Producers Club members to identify, cultivate, and solicit existing members for renewals, upgrades and major gifts. The MGO will identify new opportunities to engage with KPBS Producers Club members and major donor prospects. The MGO will also identify prospects for planned gifts.
Responsible for writing cases for support, proposals and gift solicitations, and to follow up and insure that gifts and grants received are appropriately recognized and meet requirements. Work with various departments and staff to develop and produce on-air spots; attend and participate in departmental and station events in addition to donor cultivation events; represent the station at major social events that KPBS co-sponsors. Travel, evening and weekend hours will be required.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
- Serve as front line fundraiser with a portfolio of 150+ individuals and foundations for annual and multi-year gifts of $25,000 or more; initiating and stewarding key funding relationships; and serving as resident “expert” on those donors and first point of contact.
- Identify and strategically cultivate and solicit donors and prospects with a focus on expanding donor relationships.
- Increase the number of mid-level donors and upgrade the giving levels of existing donors participating in the Producers Club and general membership.
- Write high level gift and grant proposals, reports, and correspondence for prospective donors, including stewardship communications, renewal letters, and other donor communications.
- Plan, schedule and execute one-on-one meetings, station tours, and small salon events.
- Establish strong relationships and lines of communication with staff from Membership, Development, Grants, News and Programming staff, working together to create accurate and informative messaging, in order to increase donor awareness of key initiatives.
- Perform other special projects as requested by the Associate General Manager for Development and Grants, and the Director of Development.
- Assist with the execution of additional cultivation and stewardship events and activities that serve to advance donor engagement and deepen investment in the station’s work.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstration of experience in raising gifts of $25,000 gifts+.
- A successful track record of meeting and exceeding goals.
- Ability to present an articulate description of how gifts were secured and the strategy and tactics employed to raise the funds.
- Ability to organize and coordinate volunteers.
- Knowledge and passion for KPBS and/or Public Media.
- Knowledge of major giving and experience in writing grants and gift solicitations.
- Ability to pay attention to detail, and track and plan donor moves management.
- Experience creating and implementing fundraising strategic and marketing plans, and tactics.
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as individuals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to make complex decisions and problem solve. Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and to coordinate activities on behalf of the group.
- Ability to work under time constraints.
- Flexibility in scheduling and ability to work effectively in several different areas as needed.
- The ability to report to work on time; follow directions from a supervisor; interact effectively with co-workers; understand and follow posted work rules and procedures; accept constructive criticism; and to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, clients, co-workers and management.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or a combination of education and experience.
- Three+ years of major gift work with measurable results from employment in a non-profit organization with an annual budget in excess of $10 million.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in donor databases such as Raisers Edge, Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Gmail, Internet Explorer, and Social Media.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
- Applicable certificates or advanced degree in a related field.
- Thorough knowledge of, and top level contacts with, major sources of funding including government, foundations, corporations and individuals.
- Demonstrated experience and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money.
- A thorough understanding of legal and tax issues involved in not-for-profit giving, including corporate and deferred contributions.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and implementing a comprehensive major gifts program and producing charitable contributions.
- Knowledge and experience in the following areas: the nature and dimensions of philanthropy, motivations for giving, research and cultivation practices, standard fundraising techniques including face-to-face solicitation, and development office functions including gift processing, prospect and donor histories, and fundraising reporting.