Development Co-DirectorCompany: Just in Time for Foster Youth (JIT)
Date Posted: May 30, 2016
Did you have a family to count on when you turned 18? Each year, hundreds of foster youth without caring connections struggle to find essential support they need to survive and thrive when they leave the system.
If you're an exceptional fundraiser who wants to make a difference in the lives of young people for years to come, we want to meet you. We are a dynamic, impact-driven organization that values creativity and a passion for transformative service—and offers the opportunity to use your strengths every day with a team of talented social entrepreneurs.
As Development Co-Director at Just in Time for Foster Youth (JIT), you'll work with our leadership team and committed community supporters to meet or exceed the FY2017 JIT Revenue Goal of $2,224,000. You'll do this by combining your considerable skills and our powerful outcomes-driven brand to cultivate, attract and manage investor relationships through fruitful grant proposals, targeted campaigns, successful fundraising and outreach events, increased corporate sponsorships, and extraordinary donor stewardship.
If this sounds like a fit for you, read on.
During the first 30 days, you will...
Learn JIT's core values, purpose and unique theory of change for messaging, outreach, fundraising and communication with stakeholders and the community.
Become intimately acquainted with all internal and external marketing and communication activities, from social media to PR partnerships.
During the first 60 days, you will...
Begin to leverage the JIT culture to integrate all aspects of the organization in effective philanthropic processes, including the JIT Board, Staff, Volunteers, and Youth Participants.
Build out a highly functional CRM system that expands JIT's reach and implement a strategy that insures JIT's financial sustainability through planned giving, endowment, and capital campaign.
On an ongoing basis, you will meet or exceed these expected outcomes:
Increase Individual Donor Revenue from $560,000 to $650,000
$560,000 from Major ($5,000+) and High-Level ($1,000+) Investors
Solidify relationships via regular communications/appointments with current (30) major donors of $5000+ and show significant progress toward cultivating ten (10) new investors at this level
Create and execute plan for stewarding current (60) high-level donors of $1,000-$4,999 and bring in ten (10) new investors at this level
Guide Donor Stewardship of donors under $1,000 to reach $90,000
Practice extraordinary donor stewardship
one-on-one appointments and donor events
quarterly campaigns and engagement in youth/volunteer activities
extraordinary appreciation via customized, personal thank you communications in collaboration with the Development Associate and Event Specialist
Increase Foundation and Government Revenue from $590,000 to $725,000
Develop and oversee grant research, writing, proposal development plan
Draft and edit consistently compelling proposal content
Fulfill proposal requirements, including accurate and persuasive content
Meet all grant submission deadlines
Create memorable grant reports that document service outcomes
Retain and increase funders' giving through best stewardship practice
Cultivate personal connection to key influencers
Establish/maintain effective data management system for grants/funders
Communicate grant content/promised outcomes to JIT team members
Meet Corporate Revenue budget of $190,000
Mobilize corporate funders around campaigns and key outcome issues identified in services such as Pathways, Basic Needs, and Financial Fitness
Increase giving from current corporate connections; pursue new prospects.
Collaborate closely with the Brand, Marketing and Communications Coordinator to optimize use of PR, Social Media, Internet, Branding, Peer-to-Peer Campaigns, and Promotional Materials
Raise $110,000 in civic/faith revenue via grant proposals, presentations, hosted events, and mini-drives, with relationship management support from the Volunteer Engagement team
Just in Time is a values-driven organization so how a member of our team achieves results is as important as reaching the assigned outcomes. The following are essential:
Authentic Commitment - Enthusiastic and consistent in working for the youth we serve
Takes Ownership – Lives up to verbal and written commitments, accountable at all times
Honest Communication - Speaks plainly and truthfully, builds trust and respect
Curious & Coachable - Asks great questions, seeks to understand
Positive & Adaptable - Adjusts to change, thrives with complexity
Competencies and Skills
* Interpersonal Savvy - relates well to all kinds of people, builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; can maneuver through complex situations effectively and quietly; is sensitive to how people and organizations function; anticipates where the land mines are and plans his/her approach accordingly
* Building Effective Teams/Peer Relationships - blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
* Written Communication/Presentation Skills - writes clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; ability to conceptualize and articulate funding needs persuasively to potential funders; Effective in a variety of presentation settings, including one-on-one, small and large groups within and without organization
* Strategic Agility /Managing with Vision and Purpose - can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans; communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately
* Planning, Organizing, Process Management - good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration
* Action Oriented/Drive for Results - enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy, drive and a need to finish things; steadfastly pushes self and others for results
* Customer Focus - dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers
* Intellectual Horsepower - bright and intelligent; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile.
* Approachability/Composure - easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant, and gracious;; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it; cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected
*Learning on the Fly/Problem Solving – Relentless and versatile learner; open to change; learns quickly when facing new problems
Experience and Education
Minimum Bachelor's degree
5+ years of related work experience (Development/Fundraising and/or customer service/sales experience preferred)
Proven success in grant writing
Facility with budgeting and Excel strongly desirable
Knowledge of the foster care system and related issues a plus
This is a full-time, exempt position that is available immediately and will remain open until filled. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and their resume to DevelopmentCoDirector@jitfosteryouth.org.
Just in Time for Foster Youth is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition or covered veteran status.