Director of Corporate & Foundation RelationsCompany: The Scripps Research Institute
Date Posted: November 29, 2017
The Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations reports to the Senior Director of Development and works closely with the leadership team to provide strategic direction and management of the Institute’s development programs as they pertain to corporations and/or foundations. Responsibilities include proactively finding and researching top corporate and foundation prospects with giving interests and missions that align with the work of The Scripps Research Institute and initiating, designing and executing strategies for each based on capacity and mission alignment. The Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations will be responsible for securing and facilitating presentations and meetings between TSRI leadership / faculty and key foundation and corporate prospects, writing compelling and comprehensive proposals and grant applications and providing general expertise and assistance with grant-funded programs to ensure compliance.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Develops, implements and manages the strategic vision for foundation and corporate giving.
- Works closely with the development team to ensure that development goals and objectives are met.
- Proactively identifies top corporate and foundation prospects with giving missions that align with TSRI.
- Develops and executes proactive strategies to introduce TSRI faculty and leadership to key corporate and foundation prospects.
- Secures meetings and presentations to foundation prospects, serving as the liaison, preparing the presenter so that the presentation is tailored and effective to the audience, and attending to support the presenter, answer questions about giving opportunities and represent TSRI.
- Manages a portfolio of high value foundation and corporate prospects by developing and executing program-related investment strategies in close coordination with the Business Development Team.
- Supports faculty to ensure timely and accurate reporting to foundation donors.
- Works within the organization to ensure that gifts are used in compliance with donor requirements.
- Advises the organization on advocacy opportunities and monitors government funding and legislation.
- Cultivates prospects and stewards existing donors to retain all existing grant funders and acquire new grant funders.
- Initiates, strengthens and manages strategic relationships with philanthropic partners.
- Provides expertise and assistance to faculty and staff on all matters pertaining to corporate and foundation giving, including effective cultivation and solicitation strategies and excellent stewardship.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- JD, MBA or Master’s degree in Development or Nonprofit Management preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in development with progressively increasing responsibility in the areas of major gifts and corporate/foundation fundraising and giving programs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and grow national prospect pool.
- Initiative, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
- High level of poise and professionalism, including follow-through on the smallest of details.
- Skilled in the use of MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Skilled in use of fundraising and donor management software (Salesforce and Raiser’s Edge).
- Some travel will be required, as are evenings and weekends for special events and development.
To learn more about this opportunity and submit your application for consideration, please visit our website at https://careers.scripps.edu. Requisition: 05116