Director of PhilanthropyCompany: I Love a Clean San Diego
Date Posted: July 30, 2017
Director of Philanthropy Full-time, Exempt
Help us awaken passion and inspire environmental action, as we work to improve the health and beauty of San Diego!
Our mission: I Love A Clean San Diego leads and inspires our community to actively conserve and enhance the environment through example, outreach, and local involvement.
Our vision: A zero waste, litter-free, and environmentally engaged San Diego region.
I Love a Clean San Diego seeks a dynamic and creative Director of Philanthropy with proven philanthropic skills to join our senior management team. S/he has primary responsibility for developing and implementing a donor-centric strategy that leads to stronger participation at all levels of giving. The Director of Philanthropy will lead the Development team and must have outstanding organizational and communication skills necessary to build strong and trusted relationships with staff, community leaders, donors, and volunteers.
The Director is a results-oriented, entrepreneurial professional who enjoys high-level, front-line relationship building, solicitation, and strategy development for cultivating high-value relationships. Key responsibilities include crafting strategies to engage donors and prospects and developing highly tailored proposals and engagement opportunities, with strategic responsibility for growing high-profile relationships.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES
INDIVIDUAL DONORS: PROVIDE LEADERSHIP AND DIRECTION FOR A PORTFOLIO OF 200 ACTIVE DONORS: 45%
- Take over an existing portfolio, establish relationships with donors, maintain and increase the current level of giving by 15% within the first year.
- Oversee implementation of strategic major cultivation events throughout the year
- Direct a comprehensive philanthropy plan to identify, cultivate and solicit new individual support while strengthening existing relationships, ultimately growing unrestricted revenue
- Create a planned giving program to include prospect identification, recognition program as well as relevant organizational policies
- Oversee the Philanthropy Department's donor services and administrative infrastructure including data management systems, research, processes and policies to ensure high standards of donor recognition and stewardship. Monitor adherence to established policies and industry standards
- Provide monthly and quarterly activity reports to Executive Director on progress-to-date
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES (CONT.)
INDIVIDUAL DONORS (CONT.)
- Serve as a liaison to and lead the Philanthropy Committee of the Board of Directors; ensure Board Give/Get goals are met and exceeded; ensure prospect cultivation at the Committee level is met and exceeded
- Ensure a thoughtful and engaging annual staff Donation Drive
CORPORATE GIVING/SPONSORSHIPS: 35%
- Manage and develop corporate philanthropy activities including identifying prospects and developing highly competitive proposals for funding
- Develop growth strategy for new and current corporate donors
- Oversee timely delivery of corporate benefits and recognition
GRANT DEVELOPMENT AND OVERSIGHT: 10%
- Work with program and development staff to develop grant applications
- Ensure a strong pipeline of grant proposals is identified at all times
- Cultivate relationships with foundations
LEADERSHIP AND GROWTH: 10%
- Manage two employees, providing clear employee expectations and opportunities for career growth and conduct ongoing training and development of staff
- In partnership with Senior Leadership, identify new ways of generating revenue streams for the organization using your entrepreneurial curiosity
- Remain up-to-date on nonprofit fundraising best practices and requirements
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- ILACSD has a successful development program which is based on defined metrics, defined processes and a planned growth strategy
- You design and successfully launch our Planned Giving program in partnership with our Executive Director
- You personally secure $600,000 of the Philanthropy department budget with your teams
- You are recognized by all internal departments as being a key contributor and someone who is always presenting new opportunities for ILACSD
- This position supervises a Development Manager and a Marketing Coordinator
- Communication Proficiency
- Leader to motivate and mentor staff and board around fundraising
- Independent, Self-starter
- Process oriented Teamwork Orientation
- Philanthropy as an organizational culture
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree and at least five years of increasingly responsible and successful professional development experience, including at least three years in a senior management capacity, with a proven track record of growing the philanthropy department
- Proven success in face-to-face cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gifts $25,000 and above
- Experience in working with and leading board members, committees, volunteers
- Knowledge and experience of working in the San Diego philanthropic community
- A strong understanding of best practices in development areas (Major and Planned Gifts, etc.) and strategies to build synergies across those areas
- Familiarity with approaches to secure foundation and/or corporate grants to support program work
- Ability to thrive in a “small shop” environment
- Demonstrated ability in building effective fundraising capacity within an organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of current legal, tax and other standards relevant to fundraising
- A systems thinker
- Passion for the environment; knowledge of environmental issues
- Exhibits ILACSD core values: Live the mission; Inspire environmental change; Value partnerships; Exhibit positive attitude
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Additional Information: This position is full-time exempt, with work on-site at our office in Liberty Station and at various sites/networking sites throughout San Diego County.
Salary range: $65,000 – $75,000 with eligibility for a bonus plan based on agreed upon milestones
ILACSD offers an excellent benefits package including: medical/dental plans, paid time off, including holidays, a flexible work schedule, and other fringe benefits.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work is performed in an office setting; regularly sits at a computer station and operates electronic equipment 6 to 8 hours per day; occasionally lifts, carries and positions objects weighing up to 35 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
I Love a Clean San Diego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements in a WORD or PDF format to email@example.com. No walk-ins or phone calls please.