Director, Community DevelopmentCompany: American Cancer Society
Date Posted: May 17, 2017
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Leads execution against the region strategy for Relay For Life, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (MSABC) events, and other community-based fundraising activities for a defined market-based geography. Accountable for significant income targets, as well as event-related mission and advocacy activities. Responsible for profits and loss management for assigned community development revenue activities, ensuring ROI targets are achieved. Manages a team of community development [managers]. Ensures engagement and mobilization of diverse constituents, staff and volunteers for the assigned market area in a prioritized and coordinated way to meet established market and regional objectives.
Tier 1: Major Market - Top 50 market area
Tier 2: Mid-Market area geography which includes nearby rural areas; position may be more management focused with less time on accounts/priority relationships
• Accountable for the achievement of income performance targets for Relay For Life, MSABC, Distinguished Events, and other community-based fundraising events; develops and executes against enterprise and regional business plans for the assigned geographic areas.
• Responsible for the optimization of current community event activities for assigned geography; identifies and executes strategies and best practices that result in growth of event revenue in alignment with market and regional income targets.
• Manages, coaches and develops a team of community development managers within assigned geographic market area. Ensures that responsibilities, authorities and accountability of all direct reports are well defined.
• Serves as a primary relationship manager for targeted accounts and priority relationships in market area; responsible for leveraging those relationships to achieve income and mission goals.
• Drives community relevance and revenue through customer-centric and innovative strategies.
• Monitors financial expenditures and progress against the budgetary plan and takes appropriate measures to meet top line and bottom line goals ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
• Responsible for annual budgeting and revenue forecasting. Ensures compliance with ACS policies, including employment, risk management, event and cash handling, and financial controls.
• Maximizes the utilization of volunteers to achieve revenue goals and oversees the volunteer engagement efforts to ensure the volunteer talent and capacity is available to execute volunteer-driven activities.
• Ensures effective stewardship of key volunteer and donor relationships.
• Models volunteer staff partnership through support of a market-based volunteer board comprised of highly engaged, community influencers accountable for driving market priorities and goals; recruits, manages relationships and retains highly effective volunteer leaders who can significantly contribute to the success of the Society.
• Partners with Community Development, Cancer Control, and Distinguished Partners leadership to determine an integrated market plan to achieve mission, revenue and advocacy goals for the market. Directs utilization of community assets (local business, health care, education, policy makers) in events.
• Works in partnership with Cancer Control for achievement of identified event-related mission goals, including enterprise-wide initiatives. Provides staff training and support to deliver mission/cancer control messaging within assigned event communities and key constituents.
• Supports ACS CAN grassroots efforts including, ACS CAN membership.
• Partners with enterprise support functions and region support services functions to ensure appropriate support is provided for successful execution of community events, including planning and continuous performance feedback.
• Collaborates with Distinguished Partners, Cancer Control, Business Planning & Operations, Communications/Marketing and ACS CAN staff to ensure coordinated and interdependent achievement of market goals; leveraging community relationships to achieve income and mission goals.
• Analyzes customer experience results and ensures a strategy to increase customer satisfaction is developed and implemented.
• Maintains a productive and collaborative relationships with the Society’s global headquarters departments and other regions; participates on regional and enterprise projects and committees as appropriate.
• Models and fosters behavior that establishes a culture that values the staff/volunteer partnership, and is consistent with the values, goals, and objectives of the Society to create an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, accountability, empowerment, and dedication to the missionSave lives. Fulfill yours.
Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum six years’ experience staff management/team leadership. Minimum five years fundraising experience.
Demonstrates Community Development/RFL/MSABC Competencies:
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Attracts top talent - Attracts and selects the best talent to meet current and future business needs.
• Builds networks - Effectively builds formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Customer focus - Builds strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
• Drives engagement - Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives.
• Being resilient - Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
• Drives results - Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
• Able to manage a multi-million dollar portfolio of events.
• Able to cultivate relationships with targeted systems/organizations including a diverse population of community leaders and volunteers.
• Strong market, community and constituent perspective; aptitude to stay current on new and emerging trends to influence strategies.
• Proven ability to recruit and manage to successful results through volunteers.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated success managing mid-level managers in fundraising and mission roles.
• Collaborative leadership, management, coaching and development of diverse staff.
• Ability to analyze and integrate information from relevant sources.
• Able to generate accurate income projections.
• Ability to proactively monitor and adjust activities to respond to changing circumstances and priorities to meet goals.
• Strong strategic planning skills.
• Outcome driven; strong project management ability.
• Able to work through others to accomplish goals.
• Proficient in computer-based information systems.
• Ability to analyze and integrate information from relevant sources.
• Travel, including evening and weekend work required.
• Ability to lift 30lbs and engage in set up/take down of event equipment.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.