Director of PhilanthropyCompany: Point Loma Nazarene University
Date Posted: May 3, 2017
JOB PROFILE SUMMARY
Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU) seeks a dynamic Director of Philanthropy to join a team of experienced fundraisers in a collaborative environment focused on results and growth as well as good humor and joy in our work.
The Director of Philanthropy reports to the Senior Executive Director of University Advancement. The Director is a highly motivated and experienced fundraising professional responsible for soliciting financial support from alumni and friends in support of Point Loma Nazrene University (PLNU). The incumbent will work independently, and as part of the Advancement team to identify prospects, develop cultivation and solicitation strategies, solicit and close current, major, and planned gifts, and ensure the appropriate and timely cultivation of relationships and stewardship of donors for PLNU. The position requires regular regional, national, and local travel as well as attendance at evening and weekend programs and events. This is a full-time, year round position. This position is eligible for the University’s generous benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience and education.
- In consultation with the Senior Executive Director for University Advancement, the Director will create an annual personalized work plan for accomplishing specific goals and objectives in coordination with overall Advancement priorities.
- The Director will provide strategic direction and execute cultivation/solicitation/stewardship strategies for assigned donors and prospects, using a Moves Management approach.
- The Director will conduct a predetermined minimum number of strategically planned face-to-face visits with major gift donors, prospective major gift donors, and/or their advisors to solicit major and
- The Director will prepare written and verbal proposals, concept/informational materials, endowment agreements, gift illustrations and other materials needed to secure major gifts in collaboration with colleagues, as appropriate.
- The Director will solicit a predetermined minimum number of major gifts annually, while growing a pipeline to support additional major gift solicitations in subsequent years.
- The Director will participate cooperatively and collaboratively in regular prospect management meetings and will promptly record all visit and contact information in Raiser’s Edge (donor management system).
- The Director will provide collaborative support for Advancement programs and initiatives, as assigned.
- The Director will attend all Advancement staff meetings as well as select PLNU programs and events, as appropriate.
- The Director will continue to build new skills via: internal training resources; approved external training resources; and new on-the-job experiences, as defined by the Senior Executive Director for
- Additional duties as assigned by the Senior Executive Director for University Advancement.
- Understanding of and commitment to the spiritual mission of the University.
- Understanding of Christian higher education combined with the ability to articulate the mission and vision of PLNU and the value of its education within the broader higher education context.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of four years of successful fundraising experience.
- Experience with Planned Giving is strongly preferred.
- Self-starter with a proven track record of achieving quantitative and qualitative philanthropic goals and initiatives, with or without capital projects or campaigns.
- Ability to actively listen to donors to identify areas of common interest with University and/or departmental priorities and to develop a compelling case for the University.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices associated with upgrading donors to major and planned gifts.
- Proven ability to work collegially, collaboratively, and effectively with Advancement colleagues across campus, senior level management, and a range of external constituencies.
- Ability to work autonomously and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Exercise independent judgment consistent with department and university guidelines.
- Must be flexible and adaptable.
- Excellent organization, communication, and relationship-building skills.
- Knowledge of correct English usage, spelling, grammar, etc.; modern office methods andprocedures; equipment and filing systems; proofreading; business letter and report writing techniques.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experienced and proficient with Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising software.
- Demonstrated commitment to: integrity, patience, and the ability to maintain a high
level of confidentiality.
- At all times, adhere to the principles of ethics and standard practices as articulated in the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Donor Bill of Rights and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Code of Ethical Principles and Standards.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
- An incumbent who is results-oriented and demonstrates the ability to work well with people at all levels of an organization, warmly develops relationships with diverse constituencies, and simultaneously employs keen judgment has the best opportunity for success.
The work is primarily sedentary and may require sitting for extended periods of time. Use of computer equipment: computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Vision to read documents, e-mail and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor. Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone. Will also stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 10 lbs. National, regional, and local travel required for meeting with donors and prospects (i.e. approximately 40%- 60% of time).
Point Loma Nazarene University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex,age, disability or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices or procedures. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide quality educational and employment opportunities, PLNU actively encourages applications from members of all underrepresented groups in higher education.